Monday 12 May 2008

Bonhill step reps

This week I plan on cutting back on the mileage, but keeping up the speed work. The main focus being the Glasgow Women's 10K on Sunday. I know, on the grand scale of things, a meagre six miles should be the least of my worries. But it's an important event for me. It's the reason behind my pavement pounding debut many years ago, so it's kinda like my birthday. Mind you if the temperatures rise, I could be tempted to throw in the towel and join the crew on the WHW ;-) Did I tell you I'm not good with heat?

The plan for today was to join some Garscube folks for mile reps at Clydebank Business Park, but as the day went on my enthusiasm dipped. Sonic was easily coaxed into heading home and doing something locally. I did promise him a nice dinner afterwards. The way to man's heart n'dat. Especially when we worked out that he's consuming 4000-5000 calories per day just now.

I decided to go for the step reps next to the Bonhill Bridge. I wanted to do something short and sharp, as I fear my fast-twitch muscles have gone into hibernation after all the long runs on the WHW. Mountain goat Marco headed for the hills. Shock! Horror! He did try to get me to join him, by trying to tell me that Pappert Hill wasn't that hilly. Mmm the clue's in the name.


Step reps circuits: 1.19, 1.20, 1.18, 1.18, 1.16, 1.16, 1.15, 1.14. I know that means nothing to you, but it's just for my records. Obviously I felt stronger as the reps went on. My legs even felt lighter on the cool-down home.

This picture was taken in January, in case you think I live in a different climate zone. Basically you zoom (ish) up one side, it plateaus at the top, down the steps at the other side and then a 100m (ish) dash back to the start. Did you get that?

1 comment:

Brian Mc said...

Good luck with the 10k!