Wednesday 9 September 2009

Great Scottish Run half-marathon

Along with the 10K, this is quite an iconic event on the Scottish running calendar. I know people who train only for this race and then hang up their trainers until next time around. It doesn't have the same hold for me as the Glasgow Women's 10K (my first race), but it was my second ever road race after starting out in 2002.

Last year I didn't do it because I was a) trekking round Vietnam and b) five months pregnant. Not that the latter would have stopped me. The year before (2007) I pulled out at 4.5 miles. My heart, head and body just weren't up for it. I ended up running about 5 miles back to Glasgow Green to cheer on the finishers. Go figure. That's Debbie logic for you.

The only reason I signed up for Sunday's race was a last minute scramble to get club league points. As previously stated it's the best six performances out of 12 races. First in gets 11 points and goes down to 1 point for participating. As of Saturday I had only done five races and was fourth in the league.

I'm not going to blabber too much about the race. What can I say about running round Glasgow? It was pretty uneventful. Nice and cool with a slight drizzle, so I can't even complain about the weather. Legs felt ok, but the last mile was a struggle. Maintained a relatively even pace (7:49m/m) and finished in 1:43:51. Not a PB, but I was quite pleased with the even (ish) splits.




Huge congrats to everyone who ran, finished, PB-d and haven't hung up their trainers until next year.

3 comments:

RunningMama said...

I actually love running in the rain...and trekking around Vietnam is a GREAT excuse!

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Well done for doing it Deb!! xx

Davie said...

I AM RUNNING!!!
Just not hard and not often.